Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nesting

So...I'm now in my 25th week of being pregnant and the "nesting" has begun.

Unfortunately, I don't tend to nest as most women do (or so I've heard). I don't feel the real urge/need to deep clean, or organize. No, THAT would be great because I've definitely got some organizing and deep cleaning that could be done!

Instead, I craft, decorate, and bake.
I know.
Dangerous!

It all started out with a desire to decorate the kids rooms. Now that we know that we are having another little girl, we decided to separate Chris and Samantha and get them used to being in different rooms before the baby comes. SO, with that comes the decorating!!! I now have a BOYS room and a GIRLS room!
What fun, what fun!
I finally completed some cute canvas decorations that I'd been planning on doing since we first moved in a YEAR ago!! Then I needed to make some curtains that matched and put up some vinyl. (I mean really, what did you expect??!!?!)

So, I headed to the fabric store and picked out some cute fabric to match their room and made curtains. Then I put up some cute vinyl borders. I still have to finish Samantha's room but it's on it's way!
Anyway, I had so much fun sewing and feel kinda proud of the way the curtains turned out, I decided I wanted to try more sewing.

SO...I went back to the fabric store and found a cute pattern - on sale - that looked just like a skirt that Samantha has, loves, and has practically worn out! So I thought, why not???!?! I bought it and some cute fabric, all the other things I would need and headed home!
I prepared the fabric, cut the pattern out, started sewing and finished it in only a couple of hours!
Not bad for my first real attempt at sewing something from a pattern! AND IT WAS SO FUN!! Samantha loves it too! So, I'm going to make another one of the skirt styles that came with the pattern. Woohoo!!

That about covers the recent decorating and craft portion of my nesting. Now to the baking...

...this is where it gets REAL DANGEROUS!!

I have always loved to try new recipes, but lately my interest in it has quadrupled!! LOOK OUT! So much for keeping my pregnancy weight gain to a minimum! Yikes!

First, BJ was making Panda Express for dinner and thought it would be fun to try homemade fortune cookies.
DONE.
You don't need to ask me twice!

After a couple of real ugly ones, I started to get the hang of folding them and they looked pretty good. But better yet, they tasted GREAT too!!
Then, the next day, while talking to Nanna on the phone she brought up the idea that she had been wanting to try homemade churros.
That's enough motivation for me!
I googled for a recipe, found one that looked/sounded good, passed it on Nanna and made them for our FHE treat! YUM! Another recipe I'll be making again!
And now, I've been looking through recipe books and online for other recipes that I want to try. I have a stack of them.... We'll see how they all turn out! And, in an attempt to keep my weight gain in check, I may be randomly dropping of plates of goodies to some of you. Just a fair warning!
So.....that's the damage of nesting going on in our home lately. I'll keep you all posted on the upcoming nesting projects that happen!!
Now, if only I can get the deep cleaning/organizing nesting bug, I'll be set!!

4 comments:

Becky said...

You seem to be having a great time with your nesting urges. The fortune cookies look amazing, and I am impressed. Churros sound quite good as well. Love Chris' room, especially the super hero logos on the wall. Have fun!!

Thornton Family said...

Hey, Sis... you are amazing! I love EVERYTHING! Your skirt is darling, the room is awesome, and the treats look incredible! I'm gonna have to call you for the churro recipe, my kids LOVE those things! Love you!

Stacy and Mike said...

awww I wish we lived by one another so we could sew together. And then I could try all your baked goods and ohh and aww over your kids rooms. It would be great! Here's to dreaming!

britta said...

I am due the begining of Nov. You are getting so close to your due date, that is so exciting. Your baking treats looks so yummy!!!